How do you choose your career????

I recently read this news that said universities are considering charging students different tuition based on their major.... I was aghast.....So basically we will be telling students field XYZ has the most tuition because it is the hottest field right now and pays huge salaries etc.....I always believed that you should pursue your interest and money and success will follow..... I remember sitting in Starbucks at 3rd St in LA and arguing with Amar about this. He believed exactly the opposite and with the same conviction that I had......If you really like something and put enough effort into it, of course you have to be successful. How can you not be? But maybe everybody's definition of success is different.......Most people measure success in money and power...There are some fools like me who think success == satisfaction, respect and personal growth. But isn't that true???? It is frustrating.......If you are in a field because it pays you a lot and you have no passion whatsoever, how are you going to be good at it??? I mean if you are in IT making good money and living in US of A is it success if you are on bench??

One example that Amar gave me was people who struggled to be actors in Hollywood or Bollywood. And I think that is a very good example. People who really want to do it and struggle enough are successful. You will say that's a very small percent as compared to the number who struggle. But once again what is your definition of success. A small percentage of strugglers become stars. But that doesn't mean everybody else is unsuccessful. If an actor gets good roles be it on the big screen or TV or theater then I think he/she is successful. If you wanted to be an actor and you get good roles that is success. And a significant percentage of strugglers will fall in this successful category. Would you call Arshad Varsi or Shekhar Suman unsuccessful??? They struggled, very hard and may not be stars but I think they have a place of their own.....which is success (and even money, albeit after a long time).

Anyways, I recently heard Jon Reep say the same thing in a really nice way....So I am going to quote him here:

Find something that you like/are good at
Then find a way to make money out of it

That's how you decide what you want to do.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dil ne tumko chun liya hai..........

My Favorite Things To Do in Washington D.C.

Hiking in the Canadian Rockies