Thank you Mom and Dad

Today was the last day of classes and as students left the classroom, many of them thanked me. One girl stopped by, said "Thank you" and then said "You are a woman. How are you so good at this?". I was not prepared for this. I am used to (quite a few) students saying "This is hard" and (few saying) "You make it look so easy", but not this! I have thought very hard about how computing is done. That's my job. But I have never thought about the gender connection..... in anything, let alone computing. What has problem solving skills got to do with gender? What has (almost) anything got to to do with gender? I guess I will never understand. I have read the research, but I cannot relate to it. And I think I should thank my parents for it. Thank you mom and dad.... for never saying "because you are a girl".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dil ne tumko chun liya hai..........

My Favorite Things To Do in Washington D.C.

Hiking in the Canadian Rockies