Ayn Rand's Philosophy

When the Ayn Rand movie released a few months ago, it was touted as a Republican movie. I was a little shocked at the comparison, because I love Ayn Rand's books and her philosophy and I am definitely not Republican (I know both parties have issues... but I know what I don't like for sure!). It's been many years since I read The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. So I thought maybe I should read something Ayn Rand once again and confirm that I really still like her philosophy. I read Anthem (freely available on iBooks!). And I realized that these statements are just publicity gimmicks. I don't know whether her philosophy is Republican or Democrat. I know that I agree with it. If you know her background you will understand her love for pure capitalism.... not the one mixed with greed! The message that I got from her book was very clear. She wants everyone to work hard and earn their prize. Maybe that is a Republican philosophy. Maybe she would not agree with the idea of Social Security (but who really doesn't want social security benefits?) and unemployment benefits. At the same time, I think that is only half of her philosophy. She also supports the idea of innovation, thinking out of the box and having high standards. So the "No child left behind" Republican idea also does not fit her philosophy. Lowering the standards and hailing the mediocre is definitely not Ayn Rand style either. 

Reading that book was a great relief. I had not interpreted the other books incorrectly as I initially thought. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dil ne tumko chun liya hai..........

My Favorite Things To Do in Washington D.C.

Hiking in the Canadian Rockies