Funny or Rude?

By now everyone knows about Ricky Gervais and his smart*** comments at the Golden Globe awards. The clips have been aired on all sorts of news channels over and over and over again. At first I thought what's all the fuss about?? These celebrities need to be good sports and learn to laugh at themselves. You know? Don't take yourself so seriously.... But obviously, easier said than done. I am sure if I was in a similar scenario I would have hated it.

Now, I have to confess that I like Ricky Gervais and I am a huge Kathy Griffin fan. And for anyone who has seen her shows, knows that she is the queen of making fun of celebrities (maybe Joan Rivers is the queen.... at least she is senior :-)). So, I thoroughly enjoy Kathy Griffin's shows (so much so that I spent a quite a few $$ to watch her live at Fox theater when she was performing in Atlanta)... But when I thought more about this whole episode I realized that there was something not so great about this. Making fun of celebrities on your own television show or live stand up is different... But making fun of someone (that's an understatement!!) when you have invited them to be honored is a totally different thing. So, OK he did not invite all those people, but they were there to be honored, so probably maintaining some respect would have been nice... And I think Ricky Gervais is a smart comedian, I am sure he could have come up with other ways to make this event hilarious than making fun of the nominees and the board.

He has a point though... If they didn't want him, they shouldn't have given him the job.... There's a reason why many celebrities avoid Kathy Griffin and why she has been banned from The View a couple of times :-) (I find that hilarious!! Didn't you learn your lesson the first time??)

On a positive note, he did end the show on time... No one was complaining about it going overtime!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dil ne tumko chun liya hai..........

My Favorite Things To Do in Washington D.C.

Hiking in the Canadian Rockies