Similarities between Robinhood and Angry Young Man

"[Robin Hood] is the man who became the symbol of the idea that need, not achievement, is the source of rights, that we don't have to produce, only to want, that the earned does not belong to us, but the unearned does." | S2C7 Atlas Shrugged
Ayn Rand's philosophy is usually difficult to digest for many people in my experience. But she sort of had me convinced in her two books "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged". This one above was on Facebook today and it reminded me of a conversation that I had with Prasad uncle one summer in Temple, TX. He is an Amitabh Bachchan fan and was talking about some old Big B movies. My opinion about those movies was exactly as the one stated above. I thought that those movies sent a wrong message and encouraged a sense of entitlement among youth that was based only on the fact that they were poor. Being born in poverty does not give us a right to persecute the rich. Of course some things are wrong and you need to take an action against them, but the kind of things that AB movies showed (especially treating the heroines like trash...) were totally wrong. Of course, according to Prasad uncle those movies were successful because they portrayed the reality and hardships of those times and the frustrations of the youth. That might very well be true and I am incapable of commenting on that, but I do strongly believe that blaming someone else for their fortune (which has probably come from hard work) has never helped anyone progress in their own life. So, while we want to fight for our rights insulting someone because they are rich is probably not the best thing to do...

With all due respect to all Big B fans, I think movies like Laawaris just spread hostility. If there was a positive message in there, I totally missed it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dil ne tumko chun liya hai..........

My Favorite Things To Do in Washington D.C.

Hiking in the Canadian Rockies